Looking for news about power restoration in New Jersey, I’m drawn to these tweets from a customer of Jersey Central Power and Light:
@jcp_l also my fish are dead and there is a thin layer of ice at the top of their tank. I am officially angry.
Elsewhere, I note a picture of a cabin cruiser rather oddly (or humorously) named the Graf Spee–anyone recall how that ended up?–being hauled off a commuter rail line north of New York City, near our friends Jan and Christian’s place in Hastings on Hudson.
And then there’s the nor’easter that’s on the way.
I’m an inveterate reader of National Weather Service arcana: forecast discussions, quantitative precipitation forecasts, river stage summaries, and special weather statements. I went looking for news of the approaching storm and found the following instead. It was issued earlier today (Monday, November 5, 2012) by the NWS office in New York City. It says so much without a single specific mention of meteorological phenomena.
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
1101 AM EST MON NOV 5 2012
THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION (CDC):
IN THE WAKE OF SANDY…IT IS IMPORTANT FOR CITIZENS TO REMEMBER THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION TO PROTECT YOUR LIFE AND HEALTH AND THAT OF YOUR FAMILY:
* DRINK CLEAN…SAFE WATER AND EAT SAFE…UNCONTAMINATED FOOD
* KEEP GENERATORS OUTSIDE AT LEAST 25 FT FROM DOORS…WINDOWS AND VENTS
* DO NOT GRILL INSIDE YOUR HOME…THE FUMES CAN KILL
* NEVER TOUCH A DOWNED POWER LINE OR ANYTHING TOUCHING ONE
* USE 1 CUP OF BLEACH FOR EACH GALLON OF WATER TO REMOVE MOLD
* NEVER MIX BLEACH AND AMMONIA…THE FUMES CAN KILL
* WASHING YOUR HANDS PREVENTS ILLNESS
* SEEK HELP IF HAVING TROUBLE COPING
FOR MORE LIFE SAVING HEALTH RELATED INFORMATION CALL THE CDC AT
800-232-4636…TTY 888-232-6348. HTTP://EMERGENCY.CDC.GOV/DISASTERS/